• Do I need Employers Liability Cover?


    When you are running a Riding School and Livery Yard, you must ensure that you have the correct cover for your employees, as Employers’ Liability insurance is a legal requirement (as per the Compulsory Insurance Act 1969, amended in 1998 & 2008).

    Who are considered employees?  If you have a full-time staff or part-time staff who you pay, these are standard employees. If you also have helpers or volunteers who are unpaid, who simply help at weekends or have lessons and ask if they can help you untack and groom the horses, they are deemed to be employees as they are still working under your instruction, supervision or control.

    Most insurers will run through this with you at quotation stage, but if it is not explained correctly and you have an accident involving a volunteer, you may not be covered.

    Are you a Limited company?  If so directors can legally be considered employees, so be sure to ask insurers if you have the correct cover.

    Finally, don’t forget your work experience staff.  They may only be there for 2 weeks of the year but ask your insurers if they are covered by the policy or if they need to be added.

    It is important to remember that Employers’ Liability is a legally required cover. Speak to a professional insurance advisor and run through your own circumstances, that way we can advise and confirm categorically for you whether you have a legal requirement to be holding Employers’ Liability.

    The HSE link for the Factsheet in respect of Employers Liability can be found here www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf